Rendering new blockwork extension

Hey come on Monkeh, don’t abuse the regulars on here without good cause :rolleyes: So Micilin made a mistake with the cut & paste job, it's no big deal; the info is there & ffg managed to decifer it OK.

Have a good holiday Micilin. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hey come on Monkeh, don’t abuse the regulars on here without good cause :rolleyes: So Micilin made a mistake with the cut & paste job, it's no big deal; the info is there & ffg managed to decifer it OK.

Have a good holiday Micilin. ;)

How was I abusive? I was simply pointing out that it's very hard to read a post like that.

Perhaps my wording was a little harsh, but I meant no offence.

Just ordering the materials for this job - couple of questions please, gents.

For a top coat 6:1:1 sand: cement: lime - should the lime be Hydrated lime, not hydraulic lime?

Sand - supplier says 'sharp sand' for rendering - I thought there was a 'rendering' type of sand which is coarser than building sand but not 'sharp'? The supplier has 'plastering sand' - is this probably the same as 'rendering sand'?

Is it definitely worthwhile using some lime in the top coat for extra flexibility, even if I'm using 4:1 sand:cement (no lime) for the first coat?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to get this right!

This is rendering onto 7N dense concrete blockwork.

Thanks!

hydrated lime if used with cement,buy from somewere that moves a few pallets its dead if its been on the shelf for a month!
sand,yes sharp but just as important washed.
limes well worth it m8,why not stick it in the scratch if not waterproofing,your arms will love ya :)

Sponsored Links
hydrated lime if used with cement,buy from somewere that moves a few pallets its dead if its been on the shelf for a month!
sand,yes sharp but just as important washed.
limes well worth it m8,why not stick it in the scratch if not waterproofing,your arms will love ya :)

As the man says , lime will make it nice gear to uses ifnot adding w/p in the scratch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back