Do I need a waste trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could someone tell me if the plumbing for our dishwasher and washing machine is correct? Should it have a waste trap and if so what kind? The white pipe goes directly outside into the drain.
20230814_135105.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes ,there should be a trap ,and it doesn't appear that you have one.
You would need to drill a hole through the wall much lower down ,and fit a combined standpipe and trap internally ,taking the waste pipe out from it , through the new hole in the wall.
If there is a sink close to the appliances ,you may be able to utilise it's trap and connect appliances there.

Bother, would it work as well if I fitted a McAlpine Adjustable inlet Tubular P Trap with a twin connector? I've been googling while waiting for a reply :)

Sponsored Links
What is outside? If it feeds into a gulley rather than into a drainpipe, a trap may not be quite so essential?

Usually one would notice a distinct drains pong when opening the doors of the machines if connecting to a sewer downpipe like that!

A trap is really to stop sewer gases from being drawn inside the house. As suggested, if that feeds into an outside gulley/hopper grate then a trap wouldn't really be needed.

Most machines also have an internal trap + water seal which is in the sump of the machine to stop any smells entering them.

We have a septic tank but this pipe goes to a grate in the back garden. There is a bit of a whiff in the washing machine was wondering if it was because it wasn't draining properly

A grate in the back garden could be anything . A M8 of mine has a w/m. in a shed in his garden - the waste runs into a ditch for several hundred yards across his farm ;)

Is under the grate a trapped gulley/drain? If the waste pipe runs to the grate and there is then an air break between the pipe end and the water level in the drain, (the pipe should actually terminate under the grate but above the level of the water in the drain) then a trap shouldn't really be needed as there would be no sewer gasses able to travel from the drain up into the waste run.

Do you run the machine once a month on the hottest cycle (empty) with some detergent/bicarb/vinegar to clean it out? The machine internals may be full of gunge with too many detergents and that then smells after a time. You need to be careful that you don't use too much detergent with a septic system or you could unbalance the natural bacteria levels.

There is a gap and I do run a hot wash every month with a washing machine cleaner. It has only been since we pulled everything out to decorate.
I'm starting to wonder if the cause might be because the drainage pipes from the machine haven't been raised enough to empty properly. Are there any benefits from getting a p trap? I think it could possibly give me a tiny bit more wiggle room to raise the drainage pipes from the machines

Given the height it's at just now then a trap on that pipe so high up may struggle to empty quickly enough when the machine(s) are pumping out.

Best option then, if you really want a trap would be what @terryplumb had advised in post #2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back