Do i need acroprops to install a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970's dormer bungerlow.I want to take one of the internal doors and replace it with double doors to let in more light.It is a load bearing wall supporting the dormers above. So i will need to replace the lintel above the door with a bigger one.To install a new lintel will i need to acroprop the wall.The only reason i question it is the house is very solidly built with block and granite sand and i only want to install a 4 ft lintell and their is not an excessive weight above as there is only 2 blocks above the lintel then obviously the floor joists for the dormers.Some sdvise would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
it may not be much above it, but if it moves it will be a lot of ag to sort out, and you are asking it to sit patiently while you install the lintel and wait for the mortar to go off.

i'd go for an acrow or two with strongboys, or at least prop the joists via a short piece of 6x2 either side of the door.

but then you will likely get away with it if you try it - it's just a case of how cautious you are.

Sometimes we all need alcopops when installing a lintel.

The work is nearly always stressful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back