Do I need to earth metal conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am using metal conduit on the wall of the inside of my conservatory to cover the cables to two bulkhead lights.

Do I need to earth the conduit?

and if so how?

Help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Normally by earthing the metal box or accesory into which it is screwed.

(By the way, do you mean conduit or capping? You don't normally 'cover' cables with conduit, you pull the cables through.)

It is conduit (just used a wrong turn of phrase).

So - the conduit is coming off of a two way junction box. This box has the power cable coming into it. The light fittings don't have an earth terminal so do I take the earth from the power cabe and attach it to the junction box?

Thanks for the help.

I don't understand what you mean.

What is the two way junction box you are referring to?

Can you post us some photos of what you have / what you intend to do?

For clarity, this is steel CONDUIT:
CO20G.JPG

This is steel CAPPING:
SC1.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi

Definatley conduit - I may be an amatuer but I'm not that bad!

However junction box is incorrect it is a galvanised through box.

Basically. . . . . . . . .

* power runs into through box

* conduit runs out to the left and right

* plastic bulkhead light on the end of each piece of conduit

* bulkheads do not have an earth terminal

Can I use the earth from the power cable to earth the through box and thus the conduit? Do I need to eart it?

Cheers

Oliver.

Sorry, didn't mean to patronise you, but may posters use the wrong terminology which just makes it so much more difficult to understand what they are trying to acheive.

Two ways you could do it.

Either take an earth back down the tube and connect it to the earth terminal in the through box, or at the light fitting end, instead of using a bush and coupling, fit the coupling as normal, then inplace of the bush use a nipple and piranah nut.

No problem - was only joking.

I'm not quite with you. Can I use the earth in the power cable to earth the through box?

Yep. The conduit just needs to be connected to the CPC (earth wire) of the cables it is containing.

just curios, where did you get the Di from to thread the conduit?
you did thread it didnt you

according to BS7671 all metal capping and conduit must be bonded even the metal strips which are fitted over joist when you have notched them out to run you cable.

looks like RF Lighting going back to all his job to fit them with and CPC
unless he's sink them to 50mm deep

What on earth are you talking about now?

522.2.6 isn't a regulation, and the other two relate to cables concealed in a wall.

I was taking you to task over your idea that capping and joist protectors need to be earthed :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back