Do I need to remove conifer roots before having a patio installed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I recently had some conifers taken down and the stumps removed. Shortly after I hired a skip to remove an old fence and some concrete flags. The new fence is now up. I would also like to have a patio installed and some artificial grass so I filled up the rest of the skip with some of the gravel. This exposed some rather large roots. I believe that conifers cannot regrow from the roots but would I need to have them removed before the base for the patio went down? I'm assuming yes but obviously don't want to incur the cost if it isn't necessary. I may try and do it myself if I need to remove them and if I can! If I didn't take the roots out could it possibly cause sinking? I've attached some pictures to show the old conifers and the roots that I've exposed by taking up some of the gravel.

Thank you for any advice - I do appreciate it! :)

Attachments

• 20200906_135002.jpg
    20200906_135002.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200906_134955.jpg
    20200906_134955.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Screenshot_20200910-180439_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-180439_Gallery.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Screenshot_20200910-180517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-180517_Gallery.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
I would chop off as much as you can. How deep depends on the type of patio but below the base layer should suffice, whether the blinding sand or a dry cement mix.

But your contractor will handle that, no problem.

Blup

TBH I'd do what I can to get rid of them.

Don't trust that a contractor you hire will do a good job in sorting them out.

TBH I'd do what I can to get rid of them.

Don't trust that a contractor you hire will do a good job in sorting them out.
x10, if it is a contactor who has done work for friends, then you may be more certain. But it really is pot luck. My vote is to ignore rate my builder, their rating really misled me the one time I tried.

Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone! I've managed to get more out than I expected although it's hard and slow work. I figure I'll keep going as the more I get out myself the better. I'm assuming that if the roots go deeper than say 4 or 5 inches below the ground, I can just lop them off and they won't do any harm to the future patio (e.g. sinking?) Thanks guys! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back