Do i need to remove old grass before turfing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to turf a new lawn
The lawn that is down now is weed free but uneven and ive had new paving installed which i want to run level with.
If the current lawn is in good condition and well kept,is there any problem with just rotavating it,topsoiling it to level then laying the turf ?
Also if not,what are my options as i would like to lay it this week as i have the time off work to do it ?

Sponsored Links
Also theres is a small area which puddles water were there is a low point,will rotavating solve this problem or would some kind of drainage be advised ?

Yes if you like its fine. I would kill it first with weedkiller, no need for you to wait for it to turn brown if your doing it this week. Just spray the day before.

Rotovate properly, as deeply as you can. The only danger with leaving the old lawn in there is that you don't relieve the compaction and you end up with a poor draining layer 6" down where the old lawn is.

As for the damp patch, hard to say without knowing how bad it is.

If the current lawn is in good condition and well kept,is there any problem with just rotavating it,topsoiling it to level then laying the turf ?

You might get away with it, but here's a video from a turf supplier about preparation (skip the first couple of minutes) and they advise removing it. They also advise waiting 3 weeks after applying weedkiller, so you'd best not do that.

Sponsored Links
Waiting for 3 weeks after applying weedkiller is nonsense. Roundup or similar glyphosate do not have any kind of residual action. Usually this is advised so that you can be sure you didnt miss any spots.

Stripping the turf is a good idea if your level is to remain the same as its hard work raking endlessly to break up the clods of old turf after rotovating but if your raising the level there is no problem rotovating them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back