Do I need to replace barrel in door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I lock the upvc front door there is no noise when key turn's, it always made a click before. The door does lock thou. I replaced the barrel about 3 months ago & this & the previous one always made the same noise when you locked the door. Any ideas why this should happen? Cheer's for any replies.

Sponsored Links
If it's one of the multipoint locks where you lift the handle to lock, then your gearbox is probably worn.

if it all locks and works correctly i'd be tempted to leave it ...can't say i've noticed a ' click ' in any of my doors

Sponsored Links
Cheer's for the reply. Anything I can do to repair or is it a replacement needed?
I took mine apart for the same reason. Mine has a cam which lifts under spring tension and it seems the spring has lost some tension over the years. I sprayed it with wd40 but it made no difference. Replacements don't seem too expensive depending on which type you have. There should be a manufacturers name stamped on the face of the thin strip on the door edge. Perhaps a better idea to remove it and take a few measurements before buying tho.

cheer's for all the replies, but hopefully problem solved. After taking it all apart & measuring everything, my wife mentioned that my mother tried to use the key from the outside whilst their was one already in the other side. I think she damaged the barrel & so i have replaced it. It seems to be working ok(at mo). Thanks once again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back