upvc porch door lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house and the upvc porch door has a lock fitted with a handle attached. The key to the lock is lost and I would like to replace it. I can open and close the door using the handle, but the previous owner had lost the key to the lock. I have seen the barrel on sale in the local diy store and thought I'd get the old lock out to make sure of the size before I bought the new barrel. My problem is I can't get the old lock out. I was told that the key is needed to remove the barrel in order to replace the lock. I obviously cannot do this as I don't have a key. How can I get the barrel out in order to replace it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes you need the original key to take out the cylinder.
One way (and not nice) is to drill out the cylinder. I have done this a few times and it can take about an hour and several drill bits.
A locksmith should be able to do this for you.

A locksmith would have the cylinder out within a few minutes (destroying the cylinder), or a little longer if picking the cylinder. You could be drilling all day unless you know exactly where to drill, and could possibly do more damage than good - leave it to a pro (but get a price agreed first ;) )

thanks for the info,

any idea how much a locksmith would charge?

If I were to attempt drilling it out myself, where should I 'aim' the drill bit?
(I'm assuming I would need a decent drill bit, the way I figure is if I made a mess the locksmith surely wouldn't charge extra to drill it out... would he?)

Sponsored Links
A locksmith is likely to charge by the hour, unless you can get them to agree on a fixed price for the job - for this they will want to see the job first.

Rates vary according to area, but budget on £40-50 per hour during daytime hours. Make sure you get a local locksmith, and not one of the call centres - who will probably send you a plumber who moonlights with a drill and calls himself a locksmith. Look down the side of the advert (Yellow Pages etc.), and look for an address in your local area - don't be fooled by the local telephone number.

Take a look on theinstituteofcertifiedlocksmiths.org.uk for a local police and skills vetted locksmith.

What a prat - can't even remember a website address :oops:

P.S. I wasn't taking a pop at plumbers in my last post, I could have substituted plumber for electrician, gas fitter, glazier etc. etc. These call centres, and some of the jerks they employ, just take the p*ss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back