UPVC Door lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am a newbie looking for some help with a broken door lock. Here are the facts, I hope someone can offer some advice:

Door is upvc hinged type.
Door is open.
First problem, could not turn key in lock when trying to lock door from the outside.
Secondly, key could not be removed from lock.
Thirdly, snapped key when trying to solve above.
Spare keys on hand.
Lock barrel is only 4 weeks old having been replaced when one set of keys were lost (only info, do not think it is relevant).

At first I thought I could simply remove the lock barrel by removing the screw on the edge of the door, but I forgot that to remove the barrel you have to be able to turn the key to align the lever inside the door (I hope this makes sense).
I then hoped I could use the spare key on the inside of the lock but it does not enter fully probably due to the other snapped key being inside the barrel.

Result is I cannot lock the door, remove the snapped key or change the lock.

It is not an emergency as I can chain the door locked from the inside. I would therefore seek some advice for a diy fix before I employ a locksmith.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if the broken key is still in the cylinder remove the screw from the lock and insert rest of key the other bit and you should be able to turn it enough.

if all the key is broke except the head try a screwdriver.

the key will not work from the other side as the key from the opposite side needs to be fully retracted.

alternatively try to remove the broken key from the cylinder by gently passing a fine drill bit down the side of the key about a .5 mm drill bit and using this to remove the key but this has to be done carefully or you end up with the drill bit stuck as well. you will use the drill bit like a pick in your hand and not in a drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back