Do I need to seal plasterboard after removing wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am sorry if this has been asked before but I am being told different things and really would appreciate some advice. My daughter has purchased a home which is dry lined. We have removed the wallpaper from two of the rooms, first removing the paper and then going back over again to remove the glue. The plasterboard appears to have been previously painted before it was papered (please see attached pics) but there are the patches where the paint has removed.

I am wondering whether I need to do any further preparation on the walls before painting them with emulsion. The local DIY shop said that the walls should be sealed with pva sealant, a local builder said that I should give them an initial coat of emulsion mixed with water, and a local painter and decorator said that I should just paint straight on with no prep; he said the walls are mainly painted and the rough areas should cover ok?

I have never worked on plasterboard before and do not want to cause any damage. I would be most grateful for any advice. Thanks

Wall1.JPG
Wall2.JPG
Wall5.JPG
Wall6.JPG
Wall7.JPG

Sponsored Links
Fill where needed, sand down and apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz, then emulsion once the gardz has dried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back