do i need to upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Watching a music video on itunes (was the only way i could download this particular song), CPU is constantly at 96-100% and page file is constantly at 450MB-470MB all the time (video or not). I dont know exactly what PF is, but i seem to remember it aint good. The video keeps juddering, especially bad when I click another window or do "processor active" tasks.

If its not clear enough, im running windoze XP SP2, norton net security 2005/6? and there, i have open MSN messenger (new version), itunes (new version today). Without video running, CPU is at about 16-20%. PF remains unchanged.

Where the CPU dips down to 15-20%, thats actually when i paused the video and was moving the slider, the slider then took about 10 seconds to re-appear at the selected position to let me play! One would think the CPU would be running full belt here?

Any advice welcome. Cheers. (I built this machine myself, so know it inside out, or like to think i do)

Computer is 1.6GHz Sempron, 512MB, 80GB, seperate graphics. I fear the rest of the computer is slowing the graphics down.

And why do itunes videos appear to be so demanding and juddery, yet when I play a DVD in media player, it is very smooth.

Sponsored Links
While the spec isnt state of the art, its more than capable pf playing video, my opinion is that Itunes is possibly the problem here - but could be something else running in the background). Memory is fine as you can see, page file usage is fine also. Try temporarily disabling norton and try again, I have a feeling...

ok, i switched off the router, and disabled both norton icons in the system tray. Closed MSN messenger. Played video. No difference. Although the CPU was going between 88-99% this time.

I do remember just before downloading, it said itunes requires 2GHz processor. :eek: But I cant think why it would need this. I though Apple stuff was more "efficient" - hence the difference in spec between windoze and apple PCs. Maybe its playing up because its Apple stuff running on a windoze PC?

Halfway through the video, i closed the video screen (it plays in a different "window"), music kept playing. CPU dropped off to idling - 15-20%.

And i realise my PC's spec is a little dated, i built it a few years ago now!

Here is the list of requirements:
Windows Requirements
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later or Windows XP
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
QuickTime 7.1.3 (included)
256MB RAM
Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

Additional Video Requirements
2.0 GHz Pentium class processor or better
512MB RAM
32MB video RAM

IIRC, i have 64MB video RAM, so the weakest link is the processor? I still dont understand 2GHz for playing videos though. :?:

Sponsored Links
I wonder if you need a faster Graphics Card? I vaguely remember that when I had a m/c with on-board graphics, it played clips much better when I fitted an AGP 8x card (and there are much better ones now).

Used Graphics cards are widely available on Fleabay as gamers keep buying faster ones.

Back