Do I need to use any chemical when pressure-washing slimy concrete yard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now got my Nilfisk pressure washer (thanks to the forum for the recommendations). One job I have is to clean my medium-sized concrete yard. It's dirty and stained but in some places is outright dangerous when damp... it's like black ice and I've nearly fallen several times.

I expect the high pressure jet to scour the slime away - I should use the jet not the special patio attachment right?

Is it worth getting any chemical to stick in the bottle - cleaner or poison - or not for this task?

Sponsored Links
Use the full power pressure nozzle first......that should clear the crap away, and keep it like that for a few months. If it's a non ventilated area, the moss will return in due course.
John :)

Yeah... mostly it's quite open with a few problem spots. Looks like it hasn't been done for a while and has built up - plus under some large trees so while it's ventilated there is constant leaf drop and so on, which will compost if not kept tidy.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hope you are enjoying your Nilfisk d000hg!

As regards the 'problem spots', can I recommend this cleaner: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p84539?table=no

Pressure wash the worst off and allow to dry before application.

Did a trial on a very stubborn oil stain on block paving (brush on), and it says leave it on for a maximum of 5 minutes before washing off.

Thought I'd leave it on for 10 minutes as I had previously had no luck shifting the stain - it took the blocks right back to original which now look too good for the rest of the drive!

I then used it on dirty concrete and patio slabs (but only left it on for a few minutes) before pressure washing and it came up a treat.

More tricky to use than an 'add in' as you can only do a small area at a time (brush or roller on), but in my experience a much better result.

As I found out though, make sure you do test a small area first.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back