Do I need to use bonding first?

BOC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be plastering my bathroom shortly. I is currently covered in 1930s glass type panels which have been stuck straight onto what looks like render.

Once the panels (and rock hard blobs of adhesive) have been removed what plaster do I need to use?

Bonding and then multi-finnish? Just multi-finnish or something else?

Most of the finnished bathroom will be tiled.

Many thanks for your help and guidance.

Sponsored Links
I'd just coat it with 3 - 1 PVA water and skim it with multi-finish.

Full tiling looks way too 80s in my opinion.

As long as it's reasonably flat skim straight over the top but if removing the blobs of glass adhesive also removes chunks of the base, you will need to fill repair these holes first. I would try & match whatever material (render?) is already there for the repairs or you may get problems with differential absorption when you skim; this will cause these areas to 'go off' at a different rate & could leave you with outline bumps in the finish plaster. Make sure you seal the render with a 5 – 1 PVA first (I would do it the night before) & then use 3 -1 PVA as joe suggests just before you skim. I also agree with the comment about full tiling; less is better & gives a more modern look.

Sacrelege to remove Art Deco panels :confused: AND you can skim straight over glass ;) with pva.seen it done :p

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Very helpful (less tiling sounds good :D )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back