Advice on how to plaster a brick wall (high suction ???)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plaster a wall. The picture of the wall can be found on this link: //www.diynot.com/network/BorisBollok0v/albums/6601/26416

Area of the wall: 4m squared
Maximum thickness of the palster to eb applied: 10mm

Plan of action:

1.) Sand the wall, clean with brush, apply primer coat (1 part Unibond PVA to 5 part water)

2.) Undercoat: apply 2 coats of Thistel Hardwall upto 7mm

3.) Finish-coat: 1 coat of Thistel Multi-Finish upto 3mm

Q1.) I have chosen Hardwall instead of Bonding because I belive that those bricks have high suction, is that a correct assumption?

Q2.) Is my plan correct or does it need any improvement?

Q3.) What the hell is keying and how is it done??? I keep reading that the hardwall coat needs to be lightly scracthced before applying multi-finnish. I read on one site and it suggested to use a nail to scratch the plaster another site suggested using a plank off wood. What do you suggest?

Q4.) If I created a key on the Undercoat would i need to apply (1 part Unibond PVA to 5 part water) before skimming with multi-finnish.

Thank you very much for your input.

Comrade Boris.

Sponsored Links
I need to plaster a wall. The picture of the wall can be found on this link: //www.diynot.com/network/BorisBollok0v/albums/6601/26416[/QUOTE]
Doesn’t look that bad bricks are usually low to medium suction, not high but difficult to say from a photo. Have you ever done any plastering before?

Area of the wall: 4m squared
Maximum thickness of the palster to eb applied: 10mm
Small area but why are you limited to 10mm overall thickness? A 7mm depth of base coat is OK but quiet thin & it’s usually to apply 2 coats of Multi, thickness 3-4mm. What are you doing with the wall afterwards, painting, tiling?

Have you ever done any plastering before?
I have done skimming over palster board using multifinish palster a few times but nothing like I am attempting to do now

Small area but why are you limited to 10mm overall thickness? A 7mm depth of base coat is OK but quiet thin & it’s usually to apply 2 coats of Multi, thickness 3-4mm. What are you doing with the wall afterwards, painting, tiling?

The thikness is limited because the stripped wall that you see on the picture has old plaster to the left of it. See this picture for clarity: //www.diynot.com/network/BorisBollok0v/albums/6601/26436. What happend was that the previous palster craked off and I took it off upto the point where old plaster is now. Afterwards, I am planning to put lining paper on the wall and then paint it.

Is it a good or a bad idea to put one coat of 3mm multi finish onto 7mm undercoat?

So assuming that these bricks are low/medium suction, do you think hardwall plaster is fine to use as an undercoat or would I need thistel bonding plaster instead?

Thank you for your response Rich.

I have done skimming over palster board using multifinish palster a few times but nothing like I am attempting to do now
What your about to attempt bears no resemblance to skimming boards, don’t underestimate how much more of a challenge for you a base & skim is going to be; but we all start at that point & some of us, thankfully, progressed. ;)

But, personally, this is the bit that really raises the hackles;
Afterwards, I am planning to put lining paper on the wall and then paint it.
Lining paper over new plaster FFS :eek: ; sorry M8 but to come onto a plastering forum & say your going to do that will turn any skilled plasterer right off & get you very limited response. I now understand more of your situation & can advise how best to proceed but if you just going bodge it with lining paper, I’ll sign off now. :cry:

Sponsored Links
to key it use a deviling up float just a bog standard poly or wooden float with 4 screws screwd into the nose end so that you have a couple of mm showing through then just keep the float flat on the wall like you would to rub up render once your backing coat has gone off and make some figure of 8 swirls this practice is called deviling up.
have you not done a solid coat before i.e render bonding hardwall browning and such forth? and as RC said if your goin to skim it dnt for the love of....... well just dnt put paper over the top
JRP

Lining paper over new plaster FFS icon_eek.gif ; sorry M8 but to come onto a plastering forum & say your going to do that will turn any skilled plasterer right off & get you very limited response.

Well, l that room is like 18m squared and the walls won't be in perfect condition even after patching them with a filler and sanding the walls down, I am only plastering that little wall. So what would you suggest instead of lining paper, after I finnished, shall I just paint?

Lining paper over new plaster, sorry M8 but to come onto a plastering forum & say your going to do that will turn any skilled plasterer right off

What's a big deal with the lining paper anyway. Honestly, who cares what i am gona do with the wall after? I might decide to put peanut butter on it with handprints.

Initially I was asking for someone to approve what I am doing and advise me. In return I got questions and "oh, he is using lining paper, sign off quick, leg it", brilliant :).

Honestly, who cares what i am gona do with the wall after? I might decide to put peanut butter on it with handprints.

Boris,,,, i wouldn't use peanut butter on a wall with handprints,, :eek: lemon curd not a problem :LOL: :LOL:
Seriously though,,, we look at it this way,,, after taking all that time to get a good plastered finish on a wall, to then go and cover it with lining paper defeats the purpose of plastering/smoothing the wall in the first place. It's the very same as plastering a ceiling, then artexing over it. :eek:
Most people are only too glad to have a surface they can just paint, so to have someone say they are going to paper a newly plastered wall/s,, is,, on here,, sacrilege. Sorry for any offence caused Boris,,,,,,, not. :LOL: :LOL:

Hey jrplastering,

Thanks for explaining keying how keying is done, couldn't find it anywhere on the Internet. Which is a nose end on the wooden float?

have you not done a solid coat before i.e render bonding hardwall browning and such forth?

I haven't no. Do you think a novice like me could make a big F up? Richard asked the same question, makes me feel like this job might turn out crap If try to do it. Are there major problems that migth encounter if i do it, since I dont any previous experience?

Let's say I do proceed, I will only paint the plastered wall and put lining paper onto the other walls that have old paint. Or should I just avoid lining paper

I didn't realise lining paper is a turn off for plasterers. I am a noob and thus I didn't know.

Hey roughcaster,

Most people are only too glad to have a surface they can just paint, so to have someone say they are going to paper a newly plastered wall/s,, is,, on here,, sacrilege. Sorry for any offence caused Boris,,,,,,, not. :LOL: :LOL:

That makes perfect sense, cheers. I wont bother putting lining paper.

That makes perfect sense, cheers. I wont bother putting lining paper.

You got it Bo'. It's always good friendly banter here on the plastering forum. ;)

Screw a 10 mm door stop down the right about a foot away from the corner and fill in both sides as you work down
the wall and rule off from the old to the wood and into the corner then remove the wood and fill in, pva the whole wall
and skim the lot from corner to corner, or cut back and skim the patch.

What's a big deal with the lining paper anyway. Honestly, who cares what i am gona do with the wall after?
RC’s reiterated why it’s probably a “big deal” for most self respecting spreads but I confess it’s probably something I hate more than most; it may have it’s uses but not many & sticking it over problems is for “bodge it & scarper”.

I might decide to put peanut butter on it with handprints.
I definately wouldn’t advise peanut butter, it’ll crack when it dries out! I'd go with RC's lemon curd.

Initially I was asking for someone to approve what I am doing and advise me.
I am always prepared to advise, in great detail when necessary as any of the regulars on here will confirm; in fact I'm probably a bit of a windbag with the detail.

In return I got questions and "oh, he is using lining paper, sign off quick, leg it", brilliant :).
Think I’ll leg it then. ;)

BorisBollok0v";p="1744829 said:
Lining paper over new plaster
What's a big deal with the lining paper anyway. Honestly, who cares what i am gona do with the wall after? I might decide to put peanut butter on it with handprints.

Initially I was asking for someone to approve what I am doing and advise me. In return I got questions and "oh, he is using lining paper, sign off quick, leg it", brilliant :).
You are a Closet Decorator. :idea: is your name Justin - Lining Paper :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back