likely causes of bubbles in drying multi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Done a spot of plastering this weekend, where I re-did some of the plaster in the porch.
The bottom foot or so needed replacing which was taken back to brick.

Saturday afternoon I put a scratch coat of render onto the bricks (5:1:1 sand cement lime and waterproofer and bit of plasticiser). I also scratched the render to ensure adequate key for the next coat.

Sunday, scratch coat was set, so I put hardwall on top bring up level with the surrounding, and then applied multi over to blend in when the hardwall was set.
All fine, until trowelling the multi. When trowelling I noticed some bubbles appearing. Not been many, but seemed to get worse the more trowelling I did, so stopped trowelling as soon as I got something I was reasonably happy with!
Not had this before - is this common with a render undercoat?
Or have I just been lucky so far and can happen with gypsum undercoats too!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem recently, I put it down to differences in suction, being that the multi finish that went onto the area with water proofer behind stayed more workable and alot wetter that the other areas, made it very awkward for me and I am unhappy with the finish :(

was it pimples so its looked like a spotty teens face, if so i dnt know if anyone remembers but there was a post about this a few years back which i posted on and also gave a little trick on how to get rid of them and i think we went into a few reasons as to why they appear in the first place.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1603155#1603155.
haha 1john you replied to the post aswell

Sponsored Links
was it pimples so its looked like a spotty teens face, if so i dnt know if anyone remembers but there was a post about this a few years back which i posted on and also gave a little trick on how to get rid of them and i think we went into a few reasons as to why they appear in the first place.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1603155#1603155.
haha 1john you replied to the post aswell

Had a few largish ones (middle of pic) and pimples as you describe in the bottom right hand corner.

Thanks for the link & advice 1j & jr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back