Do I need trickle vents in new windows ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just found out that the new UPVC windows that we have had installed, while extending our house over the last few months, don't have any form of vents in them.

The architects drawings state that the windows should "Provide background ventilation by the use of trickle vents fitted to the head of doors and windows"

I have spoke to the window company, they say they wouldn't recommend fitting the vents as they are noisy when it is windy, but if I really wanted the vents they could retrofit them by taking the open-able windows back to the factory.

So the big question is do I need / should I get these vents installed?

My thinking is if they are not required why do architects & Building Control specify them? but I'm no expert so I would realy appreciate a bit of advice from anyone in the know.

Sponsored Links
My take on it is you replace like for like, if your old windows had them then the new should too, if not then no. As for new build then yes its a requirement

replacement windows are usually sold as being draught-proof. One effect of this is that there is no ventilation (except if they have been clumsily fitted with big gaps between frame and wall)

you can expect to get condensation and stuffiness if there is no vent.

What did the order to the supplier say?

You need trickle vents in new windows. The archs are right the window suppliers are pulling a fast one, they should be able to retrofit them though.

Sponsored Links
Echo to FMT ; go back to your builder/installer, they are not complying with Building Regs. & if FENSA, a condition of their registration. If replacing existing windows then you don’t have to fit trickles unless they were fitted before but new builds, including extensions, must have them; similar is fire/means of escape windows, where required.

Thanks Guys,
I don't think there will be much of a problem getting them to sort the vents for me, as they are a decent company & fensa registered, they should have known to fit them in the first place as it is definitely an extension, the amount of work that has been done the whole house is almost like a new build, they will probably hate me though.
I was just wanting to find out if the vents where necessary, before I contacted them about fitting them.

With regards to fire escape openings, they all comply as we stated exactly how & what openers we wanted, going by the regulations.

I didn't state to them about vents & u/values, as with it being a extension and them being fensa registered they should have known the regs.

I didn't state to them about vents & u/values, as with it being a extension and them being fensa registered they should have known the regs.
Unfortunately in this industry this is a Big No No, never assume anything!

I spoke to the manufactures/fitters yesterday, they say there is no problem fitting the vents for me if I want them.
But they are definitely recommending that I don't get then put in,
they say that the vents are awful, letting drafts in, also noisy if there is a wind, they have customers asking all the time for the windows to be replaced with no vents.

I don’t disagree with what they are saying; personally I don’t have trickle vents in my new windows but because mine were replacement windows & there were none there before, I was under no obligation to fit them. The installer is either bull ****ting you or are incompetent; if they are fitting replacement windows without trickle vents where they were present before, they are definitely contravening BR’s & the terms of their FENSA registration.

Background ventilation is a requirement on all new builds (including extensions) & this is usually & most easily provided by means of trickle vents in the window frames. If you don’t have any fitted, you may be forced to provide some other means of controllable ventilation to meet BR’s (a wall vent in each room!) before the BCO will sign it off.

The building inspector hadn't picked anything up about the windows, they have pretty much signed that part of the build of, they are just waiting for the paperwork or whatever from the electrician.

Note: When I say that part of the build, we have two sets of building regs.
Phase one: was a new extension (pretty much complete)
Phase two: regularisation of an old garage conversion (work in progress)

Bucks Inspector:

article-0-02D00C26000005DC-237_233x322.jpg

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back