Do I need water pipe cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've paid this for 10 years around £25-£50 depending on how much I can bargain but wondering if I need

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/water-supply-pipe-cover

I know nothing about plumbing and sometimes think I just got sold my the "threats"

But I've never had to make a claims

Live in a terraced Victorian house in east London never a problem in 40 years

At a glance

Repair or replacement of a leaking or blocked water supply pipe up to internal stop valve
Repair of leaks to your internal plumbing pipe work
Repairs to your water supply pipe caused by wear and tear and accidental damage
Leaking cold water tank hot water cylinder or radiator - will drain and isolate

No limit to claims
All parts labour vat cover

NOT INCLUDED

TAPS TOILETS OVERFLOWS WASTE PIPES DRAINS UNVENTED HOT WATER CYCLINDERS

Sponsored Links
Don't waste your money - just get Agile's number from this site - he does lots from £86.00 ;)

In a word NO.

Lets take your lowest example of £25pm. Over the past 10 years you have spent £3000 on this cover. £6000 if you paid the higher prices.

If you had put this into a seperate account you would still have the money and would be able to afford any breakdowns that you may need. Also yo uwould have cover for everything not just what is itemised through their policy.

Kill the policy and start banking the money mate. Much more worthwhile.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Of the money collected by insurance companies, most of it covers running their businesses, paying their admin employees and a profit. Only a small percentage is used to pay for repairs to their clients property. So save yourself the overheads and pay when you need any repairs it will be cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
Worst case scenario and your supply starts leaking underground, you'll have to pay to get it fixed. Everything else, we could probably talk you through on here how to drain down/isolate etc, doesnt look like that policy will cover repairs anyway, so you'll still need to fork out for that. (No doubt they'll try and sell you an expensive repair if you call them out...) Home insurance could cover some of the bill anyway.

I'm not joking about Agile - he's Gas Safe - knows boilers and lives/works in London.;)

In a word NO.

Lets take your lowest example of £25pm. Over the past 10 years you have spent £3000 on this cover. £6000 if you paid the higher prices.

If you had put this into a seperate account you would still have the money and would be able to afford any breakdowns that you may need. Also yo uwould have cover for everything not just what is itemised through their policy.

Jon

Its per year.

Its basically cover from the street to your stopcock. They scare you with images of JCBs digging up your front lawn and the associated costs. I dont believe it covers making good afterwards though.

Personally ive never bothered but ive seen the flyers.

Yes exactly it's per year so not a lot really

How the hell will a leak happen underneath anyway?!?

It does happen, although rarely. Lead wears thin and splits, or a stone can puncture a pipe. If you're on a shared supply it would be a shared cost anyway, provided the supply can be turned off in the street, dig a hole, find leak, couple of repair couplings and enough MDPE blue pipe to bridge the gap, and you're sorted. Can even fix them live if you dont mind getting a bit wet. :D

Yeah outside pipe unlikely

What about Repair of leaks to your internal plumbing pipe work??

I used to pay £48 for 6 years then was gonna cancel
£12 last year
£24 this year

It's the fear of a jcb tbh as you say

I don't know whether to keep or not ?!?!?

Tbh if your internals go, you'll have damage anyway regardless of that cover. It also won't make good.

My equivalent insurance (as well as decent general home insurance) is knowing my stopcock works, some 15mm and 22mm pipe, a pipe cutter and some compression couplers.

Planes don't suddenly fall out of the sky either apparently. Except when they do.

In a word NO.

Jon

Its per year.

Its basically cover from the street to your stopcock. They scare you with images of JCBs digging up your front lawn and the associated costs. I dont believe it covers making good afterwards though.

Personally ive never bothered but ive seen the flyers.

We have a similar Insurance cover £60 per year, £5 per month, in our situation we felt it is a worthwhile investment, being over 1/2 mile away from the street mains supply, our water supply runs under a couple of Farmers fields, so a fiver a month for a burst repair is worthwhile considering the possible outcome.

I do wonder whether the Insurance Company would honour the Policy if we ever had to make a claim, hopefully that will never occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back