Do I really need a DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomorrow, weather permitting, im laying a concrete slab for what will be a base for a summerhouse. I had ordered some DPM but it hasnt turned up and Im told the courier has lost it. We live in a very remote area so getting hold of some means I have to order online and wait for it. The issue is I have borrowed a friends cement mixer and he needs it back so I was wondering if i should lay the base without the DPM? Its about 2.4m x 4m square and I was going to put the summerhouse of pressure treated bearers anyway wrapped in DPC.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if i should lay the base without the DPM? Its about 2.4m x 4m square and I was going to put the summerhouse of pressure treated bearers anyway wrapped in DPC.

Crack on - that will be plenty of damp proofing;)

I reckon, if you get it wrong, you could have rotten bearers in as little as 5 years.
It would be wise to check on your exact proposals, the problem you have is time.
But you can check on your proposals, on here, before you continue with your bearers.

Sponsored Links
If you don't skimp on the cement content, and do the slab a reasonable thickness (min, 100) you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back