Do I really need to replace the whole gutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered a small leak inside on a ceiling next to the wall where the gutter is.

Got someone to look at it and they showed me that there’s a hole in the gutter (hopefully you can see it on the right corner area). It was clearly leaking water when they tested it. I’m also showing a photo of the other side of the gutter.
IMG_1248.png
IMG_1249.png

They cleaned the gutter as it was full of moss.

They say that the whole gutter needs replacing because it’s an old one-piece type. Otherwise they’d just fix the union area on a new style gutter.

The issue I have is that the ceiling leak was on the side of the gutter that looks fine. So could it have been the moss that was causing the ceiling issue?

They also said the floor above (where the roof and upper gutter is) is probably full of moss but it’s too high to come and clean without a taller ladder. Couldn’t that blockage have caused the ceiling leak from water running down?

Lastly could I try and get the hole that has been identified on the lower gutter blocked up without replacing the whole gutter?

I’ll probably sell the place next year so just want to avoid paying more than I need to now.

Sponsored Links
Plastic gutter?
Can't tell by looking.
Stick some plastic on the inside of gutter with a black polymer like CT1. That will stop water for now.

As for Moss building up and causing leak, yeah. Its happens which is why people treat roof to stop the moss growing and washing down in gutting blocking everything up, although it's not popular thing to have done. Should be though

Plastic gutter?
Can't tell by looking.
Stick some plastic on the inside of gutter with a black polymer like CT1. That will stop water for now.

As for Moss building up and causing leak, yeah. Its happens which is why people treat roof to stop the moss growing and washing down in gutting blocking everything up, although it's not popular thing to have done. Should be though
Thank you! I thought they were plastic but I’m not totally sure.

Can the moss blockage actually cause holes in the plastic (or if the gutter is metal)?

Sponsored Links
Sunlight degraded plastic over time.
Metal can rust.
Ladders can damage guttering
Maybe flame from roofer melted plastic gutter.

Who knows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back