Do I require a goal-post frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a query regarding the need for a goal-post frame for a project I'm involved with. The SE has specified a goal post to accommodate a rear one-story extension, see attached image.

My view is, this is not needed, but I'm not certain. I've checked Building Regs Part A and it complies with Diagram 5 and 14. An alternative would be to specify a UB and check walls for wind loading, and if need be, incorporate piers/windposts, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
GP Query.JPG

Sponsored Links
Subject to seeing the ground-floor layout as a whole, and if the lean-to roof could be adequately secured to the surrounding walls, that should not need a goal post.

Thanks for the response. I've uploaded a couple more images.

I think the concern was with the second floor stability at the point of the opening

GP Query 1.JPG
GP Query 2.JPG

Sponsored Links
You have an offset in the wall which should provide a decent bearing for a couple of 178 x 102 UBs. There won't be much load on the beams as presumably the floor will span on to the side walls, and the bigger part of the load will be at the party-wall side.

If the brickwork isn't too good, consider leaving a 1/2 brick nib on the inside - cheaper than a steel post and would take up no more width.

Too often SEs spec goal posts when 9 times out of 10 they're not necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back