Windpost late addition

Sponsored Links
I can be a heart surgeon
I doubt it.

Knowing about structures and being a practicing IStructE are completely different. So I'm not following your inference.

There is brutressing required in domestic internal walls.

What i think this boils down to is that brickwork is not good at resisting tensile forces, and it is these which horizontal wind load imparts on brickwork panels.
For this reason, brickwork panels, whether on multi-storey flats or low-rise dwellings, are limited in height and width. In traditional houses, room sizes have generally been limited by the spans available with timber joists. This results in relatively small-area walls enclosing a cell-like structure, where the walls at right-angles to the wind act as shear walls and generally provide overall rigidity.
Whether we call them shear walls or buttressing walls doesn't matter - the end result is the same.
Approved Doc A gives 'rule of thumb' dimensions for walls in traditional domestic buildings but these are necessarily quite conservative and can often be departed from on the basis of experience or analysis.

Sponsored Links
Approved Doc A gives 'rule of thumb' dimensions for walls in traditional domestic buildings but these are necessarily quite conservative and can often be departed from on the basis of experience or analysis.
Yes, bit reluctant to enter this debate but in my experience SE would not need to design windposts for simple house extensions if you could comply with the requirements in AD A.

The simplest way to check if buttress is required is to do calculation and that will answer all but I doubt me or you would be willing to provide the calculations on forum where I would not be able to gather sufficient information to establish if the wall needs it or not
I would suggest that if someone needs to go in to someone's house to do a calculation to see if a wall is butressing or not, then they don't know anything about houses and should not be even let in to the house in the first place.

Those are the sorts of engineer that produce 20 pages of gumpf for a single beam instead of a few lines, and write pages of might be's and could do's instead of one paragraph of what is for a structural appraisal.

I would suggest that if someone needs to go in to someone's house to do a calculation to see if a wall is butressing or not, then they don't know anything about houses and should not be even let in to the house in the first place.

:eek:

It is clear you have no understanding of structures or understand basic structural principles so it is not surprising that you would make yet another ill-educated suggestion. OP suggested his SE asked for windposts so I would recommend to OP to follow this unless you want to provide one paragraph stating "woody said structure ok by inspection". Please feel free to offer your structural expertise. OP will save £750...you will do few lines which will take you 5min but for your troubles you will get £20 and everyone will be happy.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hey, is this kid the new FMT after a 2 day structural course? :cautious: I'm loving the clarity already.

Anyway it's occured to me that I'm actually commenting in the wrong thread. o_O:oops: This is not the "internal wall removal" thread but a different one. LOL.
But my comments still stand ..... as does my house after all these years with its doors and windows right in the corners, and no posts and no calcs, and no butressing. It's voodoo I tell you, because I've not got a clue about structures.

OP has a choice to take an advise from Structural Engineer or from Building Surveyor. I shall leave that decision in his capable hands.
Really? You do know this is the internet where anyone can be anything they like?

The Force is strong in this one :rolleyes:

You do know this is the internet where anyone can be anything they like
our SE has recommended wind posts either side of the bifolds
I'm assuming the OPs supposed SE was not just some random off the internet. I guess you're using a circuitous way to tell the OP to listen to the professional onsite rather than you or I or anyone else on this thread!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back