Windpost late addition

So just to be clear, there's a 9m long straight wall witht brickwork at each end at a right angle but nothing at right angles closer. And the SE is asking for either metal or thicker masonry at the edges of the 5.5m opening?
I can see why it's been asked for, and I'd go for the metal if you can afford it. Even the 440 piers will cost money so may as well use the metal

Sponsored Links
Hi John. 7.5 m room. 5.5m opening for bifolds. SE has asked for 440 x 215 thicker piers each side of the opening which I’m fine with and agree with as there’s alot of weight. It was the extra wind posts in the cavities inside the 440 piers which i thought was a bit OTT. However the SE emailed this morning to say the windposts weren’t required if we increased the size of the pier thickness to 440 x 440 so problem solved. I’m just wondering why the slightly thicker piers don’t need windposts but the 440 x 215 would have needed them? Strange

However the SE emailed this morning to say the windposts weren’t required if we increased the size of the pier thickness to 440 x 440 so problem solved. I’m just wondering why the slightly thicker piers don’t need windposts but the 440 x 215 would have needed them?
Because 440 x 440 piers are bigger than 440 x 215 piers :!:

@ OP, sorry, but you've been had.

With 1000mm of wall on one side and 2500mm of wall on the other, you just don't need windposts. Neither do you need ridiculous 440 x 440 piers in engineering brick to support the beam. And don't pay your architect £250 just to look at it because he will be as clueless as your SE.

The attached pic shows what can be done on planet earth. The bifolds are just over 5m long*, and note the short wall each side. The beam above is a simple fabricated beam, which also carries the point load from the beam supporting the flank wall at first floor, near the left-hand bearing. No windposts within a mile.
There are no padstones, just a 275 long bearing each end (padstones on the outside would look naff anyway).
Get back on the phone and get them to do the job properly.
Corr: litttle under 5m long.
DSCF9878.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Tony. Mine will not be too far off your pic except its got another a bedroom above the left and right side. Sounds like my job has been over engineered. But better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for all the replies chaps.

sounds like SE has realised that the masonry panel is not sufficient to resist the wind load blowing perpendicular to the panel (these are called wind panels) and therefore spec'd windposts

Im not a SE, but do get involved in designing and building orangeries. I have learnt that lateral stability is a more complex issue than roof, floor or lintel loading.

The current trend of open plan interiors I suspect causes stability issues because internal walls are often removed but they may act as buttresses to external walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back