DO PLASTIC AIR VENTS DO ANY GOOD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dampness condensation problem. All me air vents above doors have been plastered over. Also my fireplace has been blocked up. Would installing plastic air vents above doors and firplace make a difference or not? MY nephew told me it wouldn't. Any advice be appreciated ty.

Sponsored Links
It may do

But I doubt it will do much on its own, without the normal additional condensation prevention measures.

You need to look at how you are producing any excessive humid air and deal with that first

my fireplace has been blocked up
Usually, blocked up fireplaces should have an air vent and a cowl on the chimney pot to prevent the chimney getting damp.

I grew up in a solid wall 1930's semi. All rooms either had an air vent or a chimney. We never had a condensation problem on the walls. However, the Critall windows ran with condensation and we were often cold.

Have a look at Nuaire Drimaster products. They draw dry air from the loft, which they claim is often significantly warmer than outside. The fan is controlled by the humidity of the house so ventilation is kept to a minimum. I have no personal experience of these products but a forum search should throw up a few with direct experience.

Sponsored Links
I recently moved into a bungalow and it was fine until we had slight frost last night and woke up to find all windows steamed up. There are air vents should they be closed or open at night?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back