Do radiator top grills and side panels reduce heat output?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi plumbers, heating engineers and diyers alike

I've been reading the very mixed opinions out there regarding actual radiator covers, so I won't get into that! Suffice to say it's a heated debate... I'll get my coat?

Anyhow, what I can't find info on is the top grills and side panels you often see on rads; you know, the ones that look like they're part of the rad. Do the help, hinder or make little difference to the overall performance?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi plumbers, heating engineers and diyers alike

I've been reading the very mixed opinions out there regarding actual radiator covers, so I won't get into that! Suffice to say it's a heated debate... I'll get my coat?

Anyhow, what I can't find info on is the top grills and side panels you often see on rads; you know, the ones that look like they're part of the rad. Do the help, hinder or make little difference to the overall performance?

Cheers
Get out more.

no not worth bothering about, those MDF and wooden enclosure covers however do massively

Sponsored Links
I can't find info on is the top grills and side panels you often see on rads; you know, the ones that look like they're part of the rad. Do the help, hinder or make little difference to the overall performance?
Hinder, but only fractionally.

Have a look on Stelrads website they do various style but the 'standard' non-designer rads come without grills (Elite) with flat grils (Compact) and curved grills (Softline) and you can compare the outputs and each size and see the difference.

Daniel

From Quinn website
9DB8B323-97EE-436C-B79B-4C8059CB9AD7.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back