Do you go/have you been to the theatre?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With no disrespect to the many AmDram companies around the country, I am talking about major theatre venues such as the Empire or Royal Court in Liverpool and more specifically any of the major London theatres in the West End?

We tok our granddaughter to see Frozen at The Drury Lane Theatre a short while ago. My wifes main reason was to see the lighting as she used to be a lighting designer for top groups such as U2, Genesis/Phil Collins, and other top names. In Frozen the lighting and scene changes were amazing and I have to admit to being gob smacked, (as Cilla would say), at what I saw.
At the weekend when we were in London we went to see Les Miserables'.
We were not disappointed.
The acting and singing were absolutely true to form to the film and all done live with no pre-recorded music and lip syncing at all. Again, the lighting was mesmerising and the scene changes conducted so smoothly it was amazing. All the cast work so hard putting these performances on day after day and their enthusiasm never wanes.

Have any others had similar experiences?

Sponsored Links
Mothers 60th birthday, went to the theatre royal in windsor where we lived at the time. I wasnt expecting much but was blown away by the experiance to be honest.

Been and seen a few up the West End - reasonably easy to get to from where we live. Aspects of love, 42nd Street, The Producers, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Jersey Boys, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Beautiful, Blythe Spirit and a few more I can't think of. I tend to like musicals the best.

Too many to list........
Favourite = Les Mis closely followed by Blood Brothers.
Least favourite = 12 Angry men.

We watched a very modern version of Scrooge at Ali Pali recently.

Sponsored Links
Mothers 60th birthday, went to the theatre royal in windsor where we lived at the time. I wasnt expecting much but was blown away by the experiance to be honest.

I went there 26 years ago, wife took me for a day out in Windsor for my 50th I think, we lived down the road in Slough. Had a nice lunch, riverboat trip the to the Theatre Royal to see a Pink Floyd tribute band, 'Think Floyd' I believe they were called. Nice theatre.

Only ever been to a couple of big productions - one of my favourite memories is of managing to get a balcony box for my ex-wife's family to see the original production of "Evita" which was superb. Another memorable one was "Les Mis" in Manchester where my missus worked with one of the musicians (so we were offeted comps)

At one time I used to know a chap who designed sets for the professional theatre - regional stuff. He'd sometimes reformat London show sets to fit smaller provincial theatres (at the end of a run the sets are sold to theatrical set hire firms for re-use by pro and amateur companies). The reformatting was generally good for up to a week's paid, interesting work and at the end of it I'd either get to sit in on the dress rehearsal or I might get a couple of tickets for either press night (if there were one) or opening night. I ended up disliking theatre in the round, like Oldham, but I generally like the atmosphere of the smaller regional venues, especially the tiny Little Theatre in Hebden Bridge. Despite that I can't say I've been to the theatre since my friend died a few years back

Fairly regular theatre goers pre C19, Harrogate, Brum,Keswick, Bowness & that London, not keen on musicals, prefer dramas & comedy

Somebody mentioned a balcony seat which has just reminded me where we were inside, highly recommended for the view.

I remember taking my mum to see Phantom up here in Scotland the first time it toured, Edinburgh Playhouse. First musical I'd been to. We were in the stalls, 2nd or 3rd row. During the opening scene (auction) I thought 'this is going to be boring' and then the opening music started, the chandelier started rising and I thought 'WOW!'

Went to see it again when it toured a few years later. Also seen Les Mis, Miss Saigon and The King & I. Mainly Edinburgh Festival Theatre. The King & I could take or leave but the other 3 I love and not ashamed to admit it. Having said that, I've no real interest in going to see other musicals.

More than annoyingly, Phantom was due to tour again in the UK just when covid hit, the tour was cancelled. I'm disappointed cause my old mum is getting on in years and, without meaning to be morbid, if it doesn't tour again in the coming years I won't have that memory with her. Yes could go to London but nah.

Having said all that, nothing will top that first reaction we both had all those years ago :)

I remember taking my mum to see Phantom up here in Scotland the first time it toured, Edinburgh Playhouse. First musical I'd been to. We were in the stalls, 2nd or 3rd row. During the opening scene (auction) I thought 'this is going to be boring' and then the opening music started, the chandelier started rising and I thought 'WOW!'

Went to see it again when it toured a few years later. Also seen Les Mis, Miss Saigon and The King & I. Mainly Edinburgh Festival Theatre. The King & I could take or leave but the other 3 I love and not ashamed to admit it. Having said that, I've no real interest in going to see other musicals.

More than annoyingly, Phantom was due to tour again in the UK just when covid hit, the tour was cancelled. I'm disappointed cause my old mum is getting on in years and, without meaning to be morbid, if it doesn't tour again in the coming years I won't have that memory with her. Yes could go to London but nah.

Having said all that, nothing will top that first reaction we both had all those years ago :)

Nice memories, I hope you get to take your old mum again.(y)

Yes. Only London theatre I've been to was to see 'Hair'. Enjoyed that.

Seen 'Rocky Horror' several times - Leicester twice, Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton. All slightly different but equally enjoyable; became more and more audience participation over the years.

Most interesting show I've seen was the life storey of Edith Piaff - the night for a hearing impaired audience - absolutely fascinating watching the sign language presenter 'sing' in sign language!

Worst play - Hamlet in Leicester new theatre (now pulled down) - acting was good but the 'electric' stage movements killed it for me - Had to 'do' Merchant of Venice for English 'O' level at school and the English teacher was a Shakespear purist and his teachings caused me to expect a simple stage set.

Most fun - 'Dragon Rock' - a play based in a Leicester district had the audience Rock 'n' Rolling in the aisles.

Seen 'Rocky Horror' several times - Leicester twice, Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton. All slightly different but equally enjoyable; became more and more audience participation over the years.
Thank you for reminding me that we saw that in Halifax maybe 20 years back... it was a bit odd being in an audience almost surrounded by people in basques, stockings and high heels (both sexes). Rollocking good night's entertainment with massive audience participation, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
lucky to be able to go to a few,
I am talking about major theatre venues such as the Empire or Royal Court in Liverpool and more specifically any of the major London theatres in the West End?
But also outside london
Many theatres outside london have major products on,
We have been to Chichester , Bromley, Guidford , to name a few, They have put on some major names and productions - a lot are performed before then going onto the West end theatres or even Broadway

The best thing i saw was Richard Drafuss at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre , really really funny , the only other time i have laughed so hard , like that was one particular show on TV - Dave Allen , laughed and it was hurting.

In fact we are off to see Johannes Radebe: Freedom at the lighthouse in Poole, this coming Thursday

I haven’t been to nearly enough theatre shows, been to a couple Broadway shows and saw Lion King in Edinburgh but every time I’ve been it was amazing.

Im not someone who thought theatre would be for me.

Lion King because I took my daughter when she was a great age and she has brilliant memories of it till this day.

Now Covid is done, I need to do more stuff like this for them.

Slightly OT but one thing that annoys me about going to the theatre is ... the other members of the audience!

Went to see a play x years back at the Kings in Edinburgh, murder mystery type thing. During a very quiet atmospheric scene, someone a few rows away chose that moment to open a packet of something, and not that quietly. One or two 'sshhh' were heard and the rustling thankfully stopped.

You also get people using their mobiles, either to try and secretly record the show or just to text a friend. The bright screens in a dark auditorium are distracting to see the least. Someone started recording Les Mis the last time I went to see it, thankfully the person sitting behind them very quickly tapped them on the shoulder and gave them a stern 'NO' finger gesture.

Was reading something a few weeks back by theatre staff. One told the story of a woman who kept raising her arms and sometimes standing up. It wasn't an audience participation show so the staff member went over to them and politely asked them to stop, saying the person sitting behind them was missing the performance. 'I don't care about them!' the woman said 'I've paid my ticket, I'll do what I like!' Not sure if they were removed or not.

So yeah, the selfishness of others can be a negative.

Sponsored Links
Back