Do you see anything wrong with this.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is for 4 new spots in an ensuite and adding a mirror light and an extractor fan with isolation switch in an ensuite revab.

Is it possible to use a pull cord isolation inside on the ceiling in the ensuite rather than a switch on the outside.

Forgot to write switch on the square box on the diagram.

Will be using wago connectors.

IMG_20221214_181138231~2.jpg

IMG_20221214_181138231.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not an electrician!

When my bathroom mirror was put it, was advised it needed its own 2 pole isolation switch and its own rcd. This is in addition to it being fed from the lighting circuit that has a rcbo.

Also, re: mirror. Doesn't any electrical work in a bathroom (in england) need to be done by a competent person / not diy?

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to use a pull cord
Yes, if you must.

Is everything fine in the diagram.
The rest is ok.
Would suggest having a 3core& earth to the mirror, so you have both a permanent and a switched line there. Will allow the use of a mirror without it's own switch if one is wanted now or in the future.
Also 3core&earth to the light switch so you can have a neutral there, as a smart switch or similar device may be required in the future.
1.0mm² is fine. You can use 1.5mm² if you want, it will just cost more and be more difficult to terminate.

A mirror does not require an isolator of any kind, and the RCBO in the consumer unit provides the RCD protection. Adding another RCD achieves nothing other than the inconvenience of not knowing which of them or both would trip if a fault occurred.

Work within the zones of a bathroom is notifiable, so it depends on where the items will be installed as to whether the work is notifiable or not.

Yes, if you must.

The rest is ok.
Would suggest having a 3core& earth to the mirror, so you have both a permanent and a switched line there. Will allow the use of a mirror without it's own switch if one is wanted now or in the future.
Also 3core&earth to the light switch so you can have a neutral there, as a smart switch or similar device may be required in the future.
1.0mm² is fine. You can use 1.5mm² if you want, it will just cost more and be more difficult to terminate.

I think I will keep it simple and have it done as it's on the diagram. I think I know what you mean but I need to see it as a diagram before I'd even consider doing it your way.

Fully agree with also having a permanent live to mirror. Very useful if needed in future.

My side suggestions.
- you could also consider adding a shaver socket.
- I did like the idea of being able to isolate the fan, mirror and shaver socket (noting that this does not have to be done). So I put them all after the fan switch so I have one switch to isolate all the axillary items.

Last edited:
Fully agree with also having a permanent live to mirror. Very useful if needed in future.

My side suggestions.
- you could also consider adding a shaver socket.
- I did like the idea of be able to isolate the mirror and shaver socket (noting that it does not have to be done). So I put them all after fan switch so I have one switch to isolate all the axillary items.
When I found that arrangement my first thought was 'what idiot did this' as the reported fault was shaver socket not working and the tenant didn't want the noise of the fan (but also complained about mould).

Second time I found that arrangement for a failed shaver socket (used for permanently charging 4 way toothbrush charger) my thought was 'what a good idea' while working with the light on.

Reactions: SFK
I have a few meters of this cable. It's not black, grey, brown and earth. It's round cable rather than flat. Would I still be able to use this for the isolater pull cord then onto the extractor fan.
IMG_20221215_160427098.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back