Do you think there could be asbestos in this plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to DIY and yesterday I was removing wallpaper in a bedroom which I plan to paint but some of the plaster has come off when I was removing the wallpaper. The property was built in the early 70's and has been redecorated a few times since then but I believe the plaster itself is quite old which is what is worrying me after researching asbestos in older building materials. I have no idea about what type of plaster it is but maybe you guys can enlighten me.

I am now very worried and have gotten myself quite worked up :(

Do you think I am overreacting or should I have an asbestos test done?

Thanks,

Antony

Attachments

• plaster 3.jpg
    plaster 3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 302
  • plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 330
  • plaster 2.jpg
    plaster 2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 263
Sponsored Links
It is true that asbestos was common in buildings up until as late as the 80's technically it was finally banned in 1999 but phased out from the 80's.
Having said that it was normally only used for fireproofing, lining boiler cupboards, flue pipe, outside soffits, over integral garages and of course corrugated garage roofs.
There was really no reason to use it in normal plasterwork, as a rule the only time you need to watch out is textured ceilings Artex contained asbestos.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...7pLUAhXHB8AKHUkEAZAQ_AUICygC&biw=1760&bih=840

It was needed to bulk up the coating to enable often quite decorative patterns.

Apart from a few idiots that used it on walls, resulting in you scraping the skin off your elbows when passing particularly on stairs and passageways, walls are usually OK, plaster falling off 1970's houses is not uncommon, particularly where rads are fitted I had a problem just like yours with a property I refurbished a few years back, took the radiator brackets off the wall and found they were the only thing holding the plaster on!(n)

I would beware of textured ceilings but wouldn't normally worry about original smooth plaster walls, unless they looked like textured Artex that had been obviously skimmed over.
Hard to say just from photos, but as far as I can see your walls look normal to me.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back