Dodgy fireplace.

S

smh

I don't know if it's clear from the picture but six bricks above the arch have slipped down a bit - don't know if it was when I unblocked the thing or what. I'm now thinking I should put a lintel in instead of the arch. Pity - it looks kind-of nice like that, but I suppose it will be all plastered over anyhow when I'm done.

dscf1138.jpg

Can someone tell me how I work out the required size of the lintel? Width is 1230mm and there is only one brick skin at the front of the chimney. I've seen 1200mm lintels at wickes: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/244003, but how do I calculate the loading? There seems to be virtually no info with the lintels apart from a bunch of british standards, most of which seem to cost money! Am I supposed to just 'know' the details from those numbers?

thanks for any help,
-Simon.

PS: BCO have been notified.

Sponsored Links
That's happened because the arched brickwork has lost some of its lateral support either end, most likely due to thermal expansion of the brickwork when the fireplace was in use. Think of a pile of books between your hands, turn them on their side pressing your hands together - the books stay together. Ease off the pressure and eventually the books slip. An arch works on the same principle.

You haven't got a serious problem.

If you're not reusing the fireplace, rake out the cracked joints and ram some slate in then repoint. That will be fine. If you want to reuse the fireplace, cut some 6mm dia helibar into the three joints above the arch brickwork, stopping 100 or so from each side of the chimney breast, and repoint.

You don't need a lintel under the arched brickwork. But if you still insist on putting one in :LOL: the Wickes one or variations thereof are fine. Total load on the lintel is about 0.76kN (80kgs approx).

Nothing to do with the BCO by the way: it's a repair. If you listen to him, you'll probably end up with lintels, helibar, slate, props, ties into the party wall...not that I think they can be a tad overzealous on occasions, or anything ;).

Yep, that's the stuff. Think you'll have a bit left over, though :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it's clear from the picture but six bricks above the arch have slipped down a bit - don't know if it was when I unblocked the thing or what. I'm now thinking I should put a lintel in instead of the arch. Pity - it looks kind-of nice like that, but I suppose it will be all plastered over anyhow when I'm done.

dscf1138.jpg

Can someone tell me how I work out the required size of the lintel? Width is 1230mm and there is only one brick skin at the front of the chimney. I've seen 1200mm lintels at wickes: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/244003, but how do I calculate the loading? There seems to be virtually no info with the lintels apart from a bunch of british standards, most of which seem to cost money! Am I supposed to just 'know' the details from those numbers?

thanks for any help,
-Simon.

PS: BCO have been notified.
yeah dodgy looking fire place lol, thing is shy thought it was hip :confused: its the ugliest thing i seen for ages and yes i have recently looked in the mirror id rather look at the client i work for, plaster it soon as possible but keep the arch if i was you, lucky theres a pro bricky in here aye simon:cool:

...plaster it soon as possible but keep the arch if i was you, lucky theres a pro bricky in here aye simon:cool:
Have you still not learnt the art of selective quotations yet, tracc'erboi :rolleyes:.

And forgive me if I am wrong, but did I not say no need for a lintel: which pretty much equates to keeping the arched brickwork in my book ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back