Fireplace - replace lintel or don't bother?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm opening up an old fireplace in a late victorian terrace what lies underneath is attached. I have removed a load of filler bricks and mortar to reveal the old arch and a lintel someone must have put in more recently (probably in the 80s). The concrete lintel looks to have been put in pretty badly - it has a tiny overhang on each end (about 20mm). However the original brick arch is still in place (one of the bricks wobbles a bit but it seems broadly OK).

Question is do I:

a) Install a new, longer, concrete lintel underneath the arch.

b) Don't bother and just re-mortar the existing lintel, plug the gap between the arch and lintel with mortar and tidy up.

I'm thinking i'll just go for b on the grounds that the original arch is in place and the fireplace opening is pretty small (0.5m wide with both stacks a similar width) so probably doesn't need that much support anyway.

I ultimately am just going to place a combination fireplace over the gap for decorative purposes.

What do people think?

Thanks!

20191223_121321.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks pretty unstable with hardly any bearing, so I’d remove it. The arch should be self supporting anyway

as above, simply remove the lintel. its hardly on any seatings - it seems to be wedged in.

you would then be best to also remove and re-set the arch bricks.
- for the time being, dont go removing any more plaster, and the brickwork above the arch will stay in place.
thing is, that the arch bricks will need a rough timber former to locate them and keep them in place while the mortar sets.

remove the wood plugs and re-position the outlet to the back wall - not on the c/breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back