dodgy memory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i just added another stick of memory and pc was ok working fine then it rebooted it wouldnt restart harddrive light was on but no sound from it ,and nothing on screen . i took memory out of , pc booted ok , tried again, runned for a while then same. rebooted with stick in but i got this on monitor a box saying imput not suported and it moved up screen this box it was weird . is it the memory whats dodgy or could it be somthing to do with clock speed its pc133 sdram micron make the rest in pc is generic thats always been ok

Sponsored Links
Sometimes if you mix memory sticks by two different makers they are incompatible. You can get a diagnostic tool but easiest is to take it all out and try just one make at a time.

Presumably you have checked that the new memory you bought is correct for your m/b. If the new stuff works on its own, maybe bin the old stuff or flog on ebay for a few squid.

could it be possible i need a bank of two of the micron 256 mb sticks it mentions bank 2 256mb on microns site

On some older m/bs you have to fit memory sticks in pairs, of the same kind. Does the maker say anything like that?

2 x 256 is not very much these days. Can you fit 2 x 512?

512 would probably cost about £30 each, and 256 about £20 each

Sponsored Links
no the manual says i can fit anything from 32 too 512 in each slot max of 1.5g in all slots

its strange that windows recognized the 256 and it run ok for while . i thought the memory was rather warm when i pulled it out to reboot it can the system reboot if it gets too hot like a cpu

i tried the one micron 256 mb stick in slot 1 and pc runs ok with that on its own so the memory must be ok dont know why it doesnt like slot 3 with the generic memory

what its is i had 2 generic 256 mb sticks in mem slot 1 and 2 i bought a micron 256 put in slot 3 and pc booted as normal but after a while on pc it just tries to reboot itself but wont red light on hard drive stays lit reset pc and same take stick out reboots ok . yes tried micron stick on own seems ok so its either slot 3 the problem or the generic and micron dont mix have u ever had probs with micron?

suffolklad said:
what its is i had 2 generic 256 mb sticks in mem slot 1 and 2 i bought a micron 256 put in slot 3 and pc booted as normal but after a while on pc it just tries to reboot itself but wont red light on hard drive stays lit reset pc and same take stick out reboots ok . yes tried micron stick on own seems ok so its either slot 3 the problem or the generic and micron dont mix have u ever had probs with micron?

It's possible that the memory is incompatible. A slight variation in timing perhaps.

I had a problem with a memory upgrade recently, the new memory was not being recognised, not exactly the same as yours but solved it in the following way.
On boot up go to BiOs, do not change anything, see if the new memory stick is listed and click on accept changes.....may work for you.

hi thanks for that i bought anther 512mb stick generic and it worked ok i must say the micron stick was wider than the the generic ones . i have a friend whos running win 98 and onboard graphics and only 64 mb think he will be glad of 256 stick . lol

Sponsored Links
Back