Dodgy solder joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ppl

I did a number of solder joints over the weekend and non of them are leaking and I am happy with all of them except for 1.

I used yorkshire rings as well as extra solder around all my joints however after inspection the solder around one joint doesnt appear to have gone all the way around. It isnt leaking but I am worried about the future.

Its also not the neatest of joints so what do you guys think? Would I be able to reheat the joint of course after draining the water out?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You didn't get that one hot enough for the extra solder to run. If you clean and flux and heat correctly there is no need for the extra solder. Waste of time for no added strength to the joint. Only you can see the solder ring in the joint. If it appears all the way round then the joint is sound.

It is not leaking, so the integral solder ring has probably done its job.
You should not need extra solder for solder ring fittings.

Sponsored Links
It may not leaking but not fully secured, if left like that in future, it will come loose and start leaking.

I would redo it and ensure it got a full ring of solder around.

Dan.

Thanks for your replies

Can I drain the water reheat the joint and apply more solder?

Thank you

I would reheat, dismantle, clean, flux, reassemble then resolder.
is the joint on an open vent - it looks like a pipe going nowhere and in the loft, so I just thought....

No this pipe is going to sit under floorboards ply then tiles and is in an awkward position, i assembled all of the joints before placing it in its final place then soldered the last two joints in situ.

So if I could avoid taking it out that would be easiest otherwise I guess its going to take me another 30minutes which in the long run doesnt sound bad at all.

Can I just reheat the joint once I take it out and disassemble or do i need to cut it out?

Cheers

if you have a drain point below it you may be able to sweat it apart, if not cut it.

ok just spent the last hour first trying to salvage the joint in the end reassembled all joints.

I guess theres no short cuts for peace of mind.

I didnt use any additional solder, its a bad habit ive picked up, trying to be extra cautious in the end messing things up unnecessarily.

Many Thanks for all your help guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back