Dodgy switch or wiring??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a couple of spot lights in the bedroom that were fitted about 5/6 years ago. They take GU10 lamps which never seemed to last long and after a couple of replacements we gave up and they haven't been used for several years.

Last night I fitted an compatible 240V LED lamp into the fitting and was shocked to find that with the switch in the off postion the lamp was illuminated, albeit very dimly!

It's not a residule charge in the lamp or anything, since they 'came on very dimly' the moment the lamp was inserted into the fitting.

When the electrician installed these spots, the main lights single gang switch was replaced with a new twin gang faceplate. None of the lights are on a two-way lighting circuit.

The only way I can see this happening is if the switch is dodgy. I guess they could be getting power from the unswtiched neutral and going to ground on the other side of the lamp at such a small level that the trip wouldn't go, but surely the moment I turn them on the live would follow the same route and throw the trip?

I like to think I have a pretty good understanding of wiring and the likes, but this has got me stumped!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks, seems I'm not alone!

So, providing the earth is properly connected and the phase is switched not the neutral, there should be no technical problem?

Assuming the wiring checks out fine, other than re-routing cables which isn't practical, how would you get around this?

Thanks

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back