Dodgy under sink pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having a new washing machine installed, I noticed that the under sink pipework looks as if it's connected incorrectly. I've run a test cycle and the machine seemed to drain without a problem but I wouldn't know how to discern if the drainage pump was being taxed.

Previously I used the sink for a month without thinking about the pipework, since it was connected to a non-working washing machine and I didn't notice any leaks. The sink seems to drain without any problem. Also there are no smells from outside for the moment.

In google images I saw that it's usual for the to-drain pipe to connect to the u-bend and for the washing machine pipe to connect to the t-junction. However as shown my pipework is reversed.

I'd like to know if it's okay to keep the pipework as it is or if it could possibly damage the washing machine or cause water from the sink to interfere with the washing cycle.

Attachments

• 20181015013207.jpg
    20181015013207.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'd like to know if it's okay to keep the pipework as it is or if it could possibly damage the washing machine or cause water from the sink to interfere with the washing cycle.
It needs changing - the w/m pipe will fill with water because it's lower than the outlet as it is now - also the w/m pipe should rise up near the underside of the worktop - then fall to waste.

Hi,

After having a new washing machine installed, I noticed that the under sink pipework looks as if it's connected incorrectly. I've run a test cycle and the machine seemed to drain without a problem but I wouldn't know how to discern if the drainage pump was being taxed.

Previously I used the sink for a month without thinking about the pipework, since it was connected to a non-working washing machine and I didn't notice any leaks. The sink seems to drain without any problem. Also there are no smells from outside for the moment.

In google images I saw that it's usual for the to-drain pipe to connect to the u-bend and for the washing machine pipe to connect to the t-junction. However as shown my pipework is reversed.

From your pic I can't tell where the dark-coloured drain pipe connects. And what's the pipe coming out of the wall? If you hadn't identified the drain pipe I'd have assumed it went to drain. If so, there is no trap between sink outlet and drain, so there's a smell risk, even if you've had none so far.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a trap or just a t-junction. Now I know what it is I can go ahead and try to reverse it.

From your pic I can't tell where the dark-coloured drain pipe connects. And what's the pipe coming out of the wall? If you hadn't identified the drain pipe I'd have assumed it went to drain. If so, there is no trap between sink outlet and drain, so there's a smell risk, even if you've had none so far.
Optical illusion, sorry - they're the same pipe, so the drain pipe is connected to the machine inlet which is reverse as Andy has confirmed.

Thanks all for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back