Does a 70 year old property need air vents in the roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . We have had the property for 30 odd years now with no issues…..touch wood.
someone has said that we should really have air vent tiles fitted in the tiles on the roof, especially if we are to sell.
Are these necessary as everything is fine so far?
I ordered one from screwfix just to see and they are absolutely ginormous!
If i do need them, how many courses up from the bottom do i need to go…presumably enought to be higher than the insulation?
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Hi , yes its an original roof, in pretty decent condition

Sponsored Links
Thankyou all, i did wonder! My own fault for asking an architect what would be required if we were to sell to make it really good. Then afterwards it occured to me that we have been okay so far. Incidentally , are air vents meant to be so huge? They are about 4 x the size of our normal rood tile?

Look at this next to a normal roof tile..its called glidesdale from screwfix…its mahoosive! You need to press on the pic to see it next to the tile!

Last edited:
the one you have there is a universal vent. for a plain tile as in the picture you can get an inline vent which is much less obvious.. look at klober

Leave the roof alone - a survey for the buyer might question why vents are fitted - let them look in the loft as it is and see it's all fine.(y)

How long has x been in place?
Approx. 30 years.
Any issues?
Nope.
Yeah, you're going to have to change it by doing ...

The someone needs to consider the advice they give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back