Reasonable budget for old roof repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of selling our period upper maisonette apartment which dates to 1890s. It has an old clay roof on the front of the property and a tile roof in the back with a traditional wood carcass. The front roof is not insulated, it has clay tile then wood and in the back there is a liner and slates. The roof is watertight and in the 10 years we were at the property we did not have any issues or repairs.

The items that were noted in the survey included: lack of ventilation (liner not breathable and non-existent on the clay tile side), lack of flashing, re-lay flashing, missing tiles, filing strut with mortar, slipped tiles, tiles missing hip irons. The lack of ventilation indicated some moisture in the rafters (20-30%) however when the surveyor was there it was in Jan after a particularly wet and cold period and he recommended fixign ventilation and rechecking for rot in a few months.

The buyers came back arguing they want the new front slate roof to the tune of £13k which would kill the deal and we don't think is reasonable given the roof is watertight.

What would be a reasonable amount to budget for roof maintenance repairs?

Thank you

Attachments

• BB2C7BAF44A34D0AAF7D0393A101B10F.jpg
    BB2C7BAF44A34D0AAF7D0393A101B10F.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 9A90CDAB90EC461A8FD2F507C3A8584F.jpg
    9A90CDAB90EC461A8FD2F507C3A8584F.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 76
  • EE89C695885B4D5D9FED138E1D6D68E3.jpg
    EE89C695885B4D5D9FED138E1D6D68E3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 70
  • 98504D3A12054A6EBD1660442CA7FB61.jpg
    98504D3A12054A6EBD1660442CA7FB61.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 71
  • cfb02f0b-712c-4367-b630-ab02e2ce3405.JPG
    cfb02f0b-712c-4367-b630-ab02e2ce3405.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
The reasonable amount your buyers have suggested is 13k, I guess you can argue with them whether this is high or not, or tell them to take it or leave it the price is the price. If it needs the works and is priced down 13k below market for a like for like house with a new roof, then its fair? Are your trying to push for top money when you know the roof is letting it down?

Unless you are depserate to sell then I'd tell them the asking price is the price you are asking.
If they really want the house they will lower their expectations. Ask to see their quotes for the 'repair' and then try getting some of your own to the spec on theirs.
They may have a 'friend' or family in the trade who has inflated the real cost.

Unless you are depserate to sell then I'd tell them the asking price is the price you are asking.
If they really want the house they will lower their expectations. Ask to see their quotes for the 'repair' and then try getting some of your own to the spec on theirs.
They may have a 'friend' or family in the trade who has inflated the real cost.

Thanks. They are asking for £13k to repair the front clay roof. My roofer came back with £7k all in for new roof. But the question is whether it demands the new roof - 2 of my roofers think not. The survey mentioned tiles, appointing, mortar, hip joints and ventilation issues. They sent a roofer who recommended a new roof because this one is old. I will offer to repair those items at asking price see what they say. Then will see how much repair work is. I am in a chain so I feel like they are taking advantage of that position.

Sponsored Links
I'd show them your roofers estimate for a whole new roof and ask them to either accept it or pull out. If you make it clear they are not going to get £13k off you then they may be willing to negotiate or let you get the work done instead.

Thats the trouble with being in a chain, one @rsehole can slow it right down, or even break it, to the detriment of others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back