Repair or rebatten/felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 1930's largish 4 bed detached house. The roof is red clay tile, and it is leaking on 2 of the 4 lead valleys. The tiles are mostly good and the battens aren't rotten.

However, it's a pre-felting roof and most of the cement on the backs of the tiles has fallen out so there's a fair draft in the roofspace and loads of dust.

We've been quoted £3k for replacing the lead valleys - does that sound pricey? I've no idea how much work is involved.

Also, what about the lack of cement on the backs of the tiles? Should we bite the bullet and get the roof felted, or repair and wait for the battens etc to need doing before we do that?

Sponsored Links
3k to replace 2 lead valleys seems pricey to me how long are the valleys and if its only the valleys leaking id think your roof will have some life in it yet no felt dosnt mean a bad roof

3k to replace 2 lead valleys seems pricey to me how long are the valleys and if its only the valleys leaking id think your roof will have some life in it yet no felt dosnt mean a bad roof

IMHO get some quotes to strip the lot and lay breathable. It might not be as scary and the valleys will be done with the membrane properly overlapping to provide a second level of waterproofing. If the tiles are decent you shouldn't lose many. Stick a couple of velux windows in and you'll have a few spares too. While you've got scaffolding up you can have the soffits easily repaired/replaced/painted and do other maintenance that often is neglected. Perhaps even dare I say, solar panels :cool:

It should also show up as a plus point should you ever need to sell up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back