New roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my roof redone. The existing tiles have been reused with some new to repair damaged ones. They were all taken of and new felt and battens used. The valleys were boarded and leaded and everything replaced. The valley sides were cemented in as were the ridge tiles.
However yesterday during the storms we had a bad leak on one the the valleys resulting is water coming through the ceiling.

The roofer returned today and has siliconed the valley edges as a cure - Is this a normal way of trying to fix the problem or should more extensive work have been carried out.

Please can someone help with a definitave answer - Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tommo If you look above the title of your post it says Forum index, rules, upload photo's ect.

Sponsored Links
[GALLERY=media, 80883][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 80883][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 80884][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 80884][/GALLERY]

Thanks. I have hopefully uploaded two photos. The second is a close up of the first, the silicone bead runs on the right hand side of the lead valley from top of pitch to gutter.

The lead looks wrong(see lead under first tile) I bet he's not turned the lead up(welt) or the lead isn't wide enough.

Whatever the problem it should NOT need silicone or similar.

He looks like he is struggling with that detail as terry pointed out, you can now buy pre-formed GRP valleys for those tiles.

looks like the old lead was reused to me, there could be holes or cracks in it

The whole valley refit seems to have been "pushed" over to the left a bit (its not a true 45*), perhaps leaving very little under-lead on the left hand side?

The valley lead seems a bit flat - ie. the centre of the valley cross section lacks depth. I'd suspect water of running well down the roof and then shooting straight across the lead "flat".

As above, using silicone is nonsense, some posible difficulties with lead welts (& valley boards & laths) and the detail at the valley top is confusing without views of the "other side".
Perhaps the OP will post pics of the other side, beyond that short verge?

OP: Which side of the valley showed leaks in the ceiling?
Have you, the OP, been in the loft to try and determine a more or less exact small area where the water might be coming past the valley?
OP: Why was the old roof replaced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back