Roof Valley Repair

X

xbot

Hi,

Finally have got around to tackling a leaky roof on my 1930's house. The leak is happening when it rains hard, water getting in at the top of one of the valley of the apex - as seen here:

t-shaped-apex.jpg

From inside the loft I can see that there is some damage to one of the roof beams where water has been running down over a prolonged period. The battens were also found to be damaged which in turn were not giving full support to the valley and its neighbouring tiles. There was also loft insulation stuffed to plug some gaps around the valley tiles (likely a bodged fix some time ago I think).

I'm no roofing expert, but I have some scaffold on site so have taken to fixing the issue. I have removed the valley and its neighbouring tiles to give me access to the battens which I have replaced in sections where required, I've painted some rot converter treatment on the section of the beam and I have purchased some new tiles to replace any broken ones. Some of the valley's neighbouring tiles require tile and halves and in most cases these have been made with two piece of tile, the joins are not great and I suspect that this perhaps hasn't helped matter. So I plan to use single tiles (cut down where necessary) to make this area good.

My question is should cement or use sealant around the tiles of the valley, some of the tiles that I am pulling out look like they have cement but I'm not sure if this is a repair or not. Since the valley collects water from 3 directions I think i need to ensure that there is no light to be seen form inside the loft. If so what should I use to seal any gaps?

I know the best solution would likely be to add lead behind the tiles in the valley but I don't fancy removing the entire valley especially since the bottom seems to be ok and the other valley doesn't leak at all.

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Why not post pics of your valleys as they are now, and pics of any damaged areas inside the roof or outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back