Terraced house slate re-roof and repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you are well.

Its come time to have my roof renewed. It’s a small terraced house with slate roof, no membrane. One neighbour has original roof the other has renewed their roof with clay tiles and no valley. The front of the house has a chimney. The front of the roof is in reasonable condition the rear has some missing and quite a few broken slates in place using some lead strips.

I’m beginning to call around to get some quotes, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this job before I get ahead of myself. I’ve done a little research and just wondered if my thinking was correct.

My thoughts:
• Use a breathable taped membrane
• Wooden batons according the building regulations and level the rafters where needed
• Use the existing slate but replace broken/missing slates like for like
• Remove the chimney to below the roof line, planning permission received
• Have the slates hooked using spike hooks rather than the normal nails
• Also insert a valley between my roof and the clay tiled roof
• Re-use exisiting ridge tiles as both neighbours have the same ones

Some of the above may be a little overkill for our weather but you never know what weather we may get in the future, also my thoughts are to make this as future proof and as stable as possible so I don’t need to worry about it again.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back