Removing and replacing ridge slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have essentially stripped ONE SIDE a roof, and when I got to the ridge slates, I removed these without taking the ridge tiles off the roof, using a slate hook, removing the two nails for each slate using the hook.

I didn't want to take the ridge tiles off because the mortar is very strong and they appear to be very firmly fixed - I suspect that some of the slates on the other side of the roof would be damaged if I started trying the remove the tiles.

I am using slate hooks to re-slate the roof, but the question, which now may be apparent is this:

I'd quite like to use a single slate hook for the ridge slates, and simply mortar the top without using the two centre nails as I cannot nail them in (unless there is a way to do it?), but I am afraid that this won't be good enough?

Is there a way to proceed without removing the ridge tiles?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back