Replacing Hip and Ridge Tiles to Slate Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently lost a couple of Hip Tiles and Ridge Tiles in the storms from my slate roof although the roof is old and many of the tiles are brittle i cannot afford the cost of a new roof. so i am looking at replacing the Ridge and hip tiles for now, how will the roofer replace the Ridge and Hip Tiles without damaging any of my existing slates i understand they can use a crawler ladder for the ridge but what will they use to gain access to replace the Hip Tiles and should i be asking any particular questions to the roofers that i am asking to quote for the work :?:

Sponsored Links
You would need scaffolding and a handmade wooden crawler made from tile batten fixed to the scaffold boards would be the most forgiving.
The question you want to ask the roofer is if he can source some second hand slate to match the original for any breakages.

How does a roofer get access to replace Hip tiles as if he used a crawler he would only be able to reach the to 2 or 3 before the hip moves down and away from hip. :confused: confused

How does a roofer get access to replace Hip tiles as if he used a crawler he would only be able to reach the to 2 or 3 before the hip moves down and away from hip. :confused: confused

A handmade wooden crawler made from tile batten fixed to the scaffold board will pivot over whilst keeping the rungs horizontal because the single nails or screws will let it twist to any angle, my ladder also comes in two parts which I simply screw together to make it longer.

Sponsored Links
Hello

Replacing hip and ridge tiles can only be done safely with scaffold at eaves level as well as using crawling boards to gain access up the roof from the scaffold, this would be the minimum legal requirement for this type of work.

If you allow the roofer to do this work without scaffold, then his safety may ultimately be your responsibility.

Regards

P1250163.JPG.scaled500.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back