Dry ridge end hips? Look on the wonk to me

B

brizzlemark

Hi,

Roofer has just finished some replacement work and fitted end hips to finish the hip neatly!

The results are in the photos attached, looks to me that the main ridge tiles and the end cap are of different design.

Images -> Roof

On questioning (cause it looks like a bodge), the response was "The hip is made up of segmental (universal) hip/ridge tiles, capped with a 1/3rd round block end. The block end hip will therefore sit at a slightly different angle from the rest of the hips because of the way they are manufactured."

This is an oldish roof that it is being fitted to, so I can expect it not to be perfect, but is this a bodge?

Sponsored Links
I was down in cornwall recently and noticed whoever the local roofer(s) are in the town we were staying at, they are true craftsmen. Quite a bit of refurb going on, and I saw many new roofs beautifully fitted and finished. Why are there so many bodgers around who come out with a load of hogwash to say "that's the way it has to be" when they've made a dogs dinner of something.

Third rounds are hips. The others look like half round which are ridge .. H R can be used as hips but not mixed.

thanks, I didn’t think there would be a reason to mix tile profiles like that, no manufacturer would ever say that is a good plan! Solution offered is to use another half-round tile on end, fit mechanically and then mortar the end. Would look more like a traditional finish (1950s house) whilst maintaining advantage of dry ridge.

Sponsored Links
There are plenty in Cornwall too, Its something I notice more than many.

In your situation pull off the Third round hip Fit a hip iron
Cut a new Half round to shape and drill
Then bed it on but dont screw it down yet . Leave it for the mortar set for a few days. Then tight the screw so the washer seals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back