Does a dual purpose expansion tank have a name?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The expansion tank for my indirect feed hot water cylinder and the central heating bolier is in the loft. It seems to be just one tank - two linked compartments such that there is only one mains water feed , one overflow pipe and one expansion inlet pipe , one ball valve , but two outlets for gravity feed. Does this arrangement have an "official" name - seems hard to find a mention of it anywhere...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply .. would it help to say that they are two separate tanks linked by a side pipe connected from one to the other low down (not 2 compartments of one tank as I mistakenly thought). Each tank has a gravity feed outlet of its own ..

Sponsored Links
Aha! That rings a bell from a while ago when the plumber mentioned it.. cheers. I was thinking of replacing the hot water cylinder myself with plastic pipework...is that going to be tougher could \I ask? Isita special type of cylinder that has to be purchased?

They aren't available any more. System would require work to add an extra tank in the loft, and to convert the system to fully pumped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back