Does all paint wipe back off the wall this easily?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm painting over a wall that had some kind of very good, tough paint on it that was also used in the bathroom here. You can scrub it and it doesn't shift at all, but it will sand and of course can be picked off in flakes with a blade. I merely sanded the wall and then wiped and dried it, and applied a new coat of some Dulux stuff in a different colour. It seems to be their standard matt "for walls and ceilings".

48 hours later, I wiped a patch with a damp cloth and the entire depth of the new paint came clean off, right back to the old stuff, with very little effort.

Is this what I'm to expect? I remember trying to clean some walls in rented houses in the past and getting the sponge covered in white paint, but I assumed that was low-quality paint, perhaps.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question and indeed most paints do come right off with little effort. It's not acceptable, unfortunately, and I will have to return what I can and get something more resilient like the original stuff, which clearly does exist.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi it's simply down to the type of paint, Matt finish will wash off its more than likely the previous finish was a bathroom and kitchen paint or vinyl silk

Hi it's simply down to the type of paint, Matt finish will wash off its more than likely the previous finish was a bathroom and kitchen paint or vinyl silk

Damn it, what a waste. What's the point of paint that comes off so easily? I'll return the other tin and start again, asking here first before I buy!

I believe Dulux have re-formulated their matt emulsion i've heard a few grumbles about it, unfortunately they are not the company they used to be. Unless its contract matt like super matt which has always been cheap and cheerful and non wipeable, its common in rentals and new builds.
Every chance i can now i use little green or Johnstones

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'll welcome any further suggestions of a paint that isn't complete crap. I'm using a grey colour.

I always advise washable paints so that it can be kept fresher for longer, little green intellimatt is superb and the Johnstone durables are good and their normal matt emulsions are good too (if you don't want a washable). Dulux diamond matt can be a bit difficult to apply and is not a true matt finish, albany (brewers own brand) is cheap, but not bad, the main thing is to avoid own brands from the sheds.

After re reading the original post, you would normally have to put a bit of force into wiping it off, maybe it is just the paints not that good anymore as stated above, it's dont put your muddy boots on the wall no need to wipe it then lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back