Wall paint peeling easily, even with surface prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently painted an internal hallway (yellow), and now come to paint the white shelf so applied painter's tape to the yellow wall (Frogtape precision) . After gently removing the tape, the yellow paint easily peeled off with it (see picture).

- The yellow paint is Valspar Classic Walls and Ceilings (water-based, matt).
- The wall originally had 2 coats of white emulsion on about 2 years ago, on top of the fresh plaster.
- Then this week I have sanded the wall back smooth with 180 grit, and then dusted and wiped it as clean as possible.
- Finally, applied two coats of yellow Valspar, 1 day apart. Then 1 more day later, applied the frogtape. After 10 mintues, removed the Frogtape and saw the peeling.

Have I done something wrong in my prep here? I was under the impression that no primer would be needed, because this wall was previously painted white emulsion. (You can see that the white paint below is not peeling, only the yellow coats). Is there anything that I can do to avoid this?

Attachments

• 20231002_204033.jpg
    20231002_204033.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231002_204050.jpg
    20231002_204050.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
I do not see anything wrong with your prep.

Initially I wondered if perhaps someone might have previously used a silicone spray polish on the ledge, but you would have seen "fisheyes" in the yellow emulsion.

I would contact the retailer/manufacturer. I suspect that they may tell you that water based paints take up to 7 days to fully cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back