Does anyone have an answer to this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[/img]

Hi. My first post.

The previous occupier laid concrete about a foot deep right up to this drain. I now need to remove the concrete for a new patio. The problem is removing the concrete will almost certainly wreck the drain and probably the soil pipe. That will mean no waste water can leave the building until it's repaired which could take days.

Would anyone have dealt with a similar situation and what did they do to resolve it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looks like a back inlet gulley with a sealed cover - can`t see a soil pipe :confused: - is it hidden to the right behind the panel that`s not cut out. the visible grey/white pipe is a waste pipe ( sink washing machine etc.)

If you assemble parts required to replace the drain prior to commencing work it should only take a hour or 2 to sort it. Is it internal or external, and if external do you want to seal it all in again as currently? Also the pipe hidden behind the panelling, doesn't look like a soil pipe, is it from a rainwater hopper, and is that accessible?

Doubtful you'll manage to salvage the drain if breaking out the concrete, but depending on requirements will dictate on how best to replace it. :)

Can you break the concrete by carefully drilling it, or using a disc cutter, and carefully prising bits out? (though a lot of dust with the latter).

Sponsored Links
Can you break the concrete by carefully drilling it, or using a disc cutter, and carefully prising bits out? (though a lot of dust with the latter).

Thanks Tony. I didnt think of the disc cutter. That might work. I considered drilling holes all around it about a foot away and leaving that part of the concrete intact around the drain. The soil pipe is about two feet down where it leaves the concreted area but as it probably rises as it approaches the drain I dont how deep to go with the drill. I could cut down bit by bit with a cutter and carefully chip out the centre. With all the concrete removed I think I could replace the drain in a day. Cheers.

Looks like a back inlet gulley with a sealed cover - can`t see a soil pipe :confused: - is it hidden to the right behind the panel that`s not cut out. the visible grey/white pipe is a waste pipe ( sink washing machine etc.)

Yes you're right Nige. There's a bigger waste pipe serving the bathroom and toilet to the right.

If you assemble parts required to replace the drain prior to commencing work it should only take a hour or 2 to sort it. Is it internal or external, and if external do you want to seal it all in again as currently? Also the pipe hidden behind the panelling, doesn't look like a soil pipe, is it from a rainwater hopper, and is that accessible?

Doubtful you'll manage to salvage the drain if breaking out the concrete, but depending on requirements will dictate on how best to replace it. :)

Thanks Hugh. It's external. The soil pipe is to the right of the kitchen white plastic pipe. It's not a rainwater pipe. The new patio will be slabs laid on sand. I dont want it sealed.

Can't see a pic. The normal routine is to set up a temporary connection at the end of each day. Any reason you couldn't do that?

Strange. I've checked a couple of other threads with pics and they're fine. Can't see this one though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back