Missing footings? - historic drain leak - advice pse!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
footing repairs.jpg

I had a waste drain repaired (in the pic), god knows how long it had been leaking. The building lot who fixed the thing decided it wasn't important to tell me that the footings near the drain (2 bricks) had fallen away, no doubt due to the waste leak.

I consulted a friend in the trade who advised me to repair the brick work and fill over, which i did after adding some concrete mix ( a small amount) for the bricks to have a broad solid base. However, i have now removed some more flags and to my surprise there is another brick step to the footings, though this doesn't exist where the drain was leaking. Could it have been left out in order to fit the drain, or is it likely they perished with the water damage?

The leak is fixed and there are no obvious signs of movement. Should I leave as is or is there more drastic action needed??

Bloody old houses.

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
If the drain has always been there then its the original builders who did not fit the extra bricks. FWIW Victorian salt glaze angle at this position are extremely tight, they do the 90* in about 5" of overall length, slow bends they ain't.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back