Missing bricks in old extension brick footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been digging a trench to alleviate a rising damp problem. While excavating I have found a old unused soil pipe running through the brick footing.

There is no lintel and one side of the bricks are slumping down.

The idea I had was dig out the area a bit more without affecting existing footings, pour in concrete into a wood template over the pipe and once the concrete is set put bricks back where they should be.

I know the pipe is unused because the drain repair guys capped it off before it entered the mains in a previous repair

Sponsored Links
Are you certain that the clay soil pipe is redundant? Do you know what used to discharge into it, from where? Where does it go to?

I noticed a gulley to the left. Probably, wherever the gulley drains to eg. a manhole, is also used to take the soil pipe.

If you are satisfied that its abandoned, then why do you still want to preserve the pipe? Why not cut it, and plug up the old pipe entry hole in the manhole chamber.

You could then brick up the hole below the DPC.

For your info.

The soil looks v. wet, perhaps its worth checking that the gulley isn't leaking? The pointing is merely smeared on - it needs re-doing with a 30mm rake out.

I'm pretty sure the pipe is not in use it used to lead to a sewer but was filled in when the guys repaired the other drain.

I'm not sure what it's use was, it could well be an old toilet that was on the ground floor but is no longer there, the room is now a kitchen extension.

If I collapse the pipe should I be worried there is anything in there which might cause a problem?

The reason the ground is so damp is it was encased below some concrete.

Are you thinking the pipe could still be in use and is just pouring water into the ground?

If the pipe is, as you say, abandoned, then how can it allow water to leak out or cause any problems?

Check at the manhole, find out what discharges into the MH and note the entry holes.

I wondered if the gulley could be leaking?

Sponsored Links
There is defiantly not a feed into the waste pipe - my only concern was it was from some other place (eg the neighboughs - but I think that's unlikely

I will clear the gully and check for leaks.

I think rebuilding the footing is the only way to go - If I want some solid ground to build the footing on should I -

1) Smash the pipe and remove
2) Excavate some more
3) pour in concrete
4) lay bricks
5) tidy up mortar

Thanks for your help

There's no need to re-build the footing. Simply smash the pipe out of the way and clean up the brickwork around the gap in the wall and then relay some bricks, and replace any "slumping bricks".

Temporarily move the black waste pipe out of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back