HELP - Brick Footings > Digging below them in the cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

New to this, I'm working on my cellar at the moment, the house is a victorian terrace and has brick footings. I'm digging 1 foot below these at the moment to provide enough head room after a concrete screed is poured and some polystyrene is laid after that.

I'm worried about the footings, i'm digging upto them, but not underneath them.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make sure the soil underneath the footings stays where it is, I was thinking about some kind of metal sheeting that could be hammered down to keep it in place, underpinning sounds too expensive, what would you do?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
do not under any circumstances dig within 2 foot off the footing and never ever dig below them
you will need new footing for the house in the area extending a foot or so below the level you are at

i suggest you fill in quickly

Thanks, but how would you underpin then?, don't you dig below footings for that?

What do I do now, pour concrete screed upto the footings?

Thanks

EDIT***

Thanks for the advice, I didn't see your edit.

Hi Guys,

I'm working on my cellar......... the house is a victorian terrace and has brick footings. I'm digging 1 foot below these...............I'm worried about the footings
SO ARE WE!!!!! :eek:

A local builder all but demolished a house in our town a couple of years back by digging out a trench along side brick footings.

No joke!

Sponsored Links
please please please fill it in to above the footings
iff you get heavy rain or the water table breaks through
the earth can get washed out and cause collapse
at least if your above the footings it will only be water that floods your basement and not the earth that holds the wall up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys, although you've got my heart rate going up. :(

I've got someone coming round to sort it on Friday.

Really appreciate your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back