digging below brick footings ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently lowered the floor in our victorian terrace by approx 15cm. But to do this our builder had to dig the soil down approx 50cm below the brick wall footings before bringing the level back up again with hardcore/concrete/insulation/screed then tiles. Is this against building regs? And can anyone point me to the relevant Building Control rules or Building Regs ??

Sponsored Links
Surely your inspector would have picked it up if it was a concern?

Is there any link to the relevant Building Regs? How does BC know what rules to apply? Where are they listed ? Any help appreciated

Its probably ok if didnt disturb any spread footing or strip foundation.

Im not sure concrete footings were around then.

Sponsored Links
Is there any link to the relevant Building Regs? How does BC know what rules to apply? Where are they listed ? Any help appreciated
Building regulations are for what to build, not how to build it.

Surely your inspector would have picked it up if it was a concern?
Is it notifiable work?

-I guess from your post, it is.

The OP implies its been done now without inspection so its academic.....

Is it notifiable work?

-I guess from your post, it is.

The OP implies its been done now without inspection so its academic.....
I don't know what they are doing.

But if building control aren't involved, then building regulations are irrelevant. If they are and it's passed, then no problemo.

If the house falls down next week, then that's a negligence claim, not building regulation enforcement.

On two occasions recently, whereby we have dug below the existing foundation, I replaced the soil with concrete rather than any material that could potentially give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back